What this means for you, as an Instructional Paraeducator:
1. School districts must provide Fundamental Course of Study (FCS) training to all instructional paraeducators beginning with the 2019-20 schoolyear. [Courses may take place online or via a face-to-face presentation.]
- For the 2019-20 school year you are required to obtain 14 hours in the FCS units 1-12.
- For the 2020-21 school year you are required to obtain 14 hours in the remaining FCS units 1-12.
- The district will be issuing clock hours for each FCS unit completed.
- The district will be designating eligible online courses for completion of FCS units.
2. Once paraeducators complete the 28 hours, they will need to create an account in the Education Data System (EDS) through OSPI to upload their credits. EDS will not accept the credits until all 28 have been completed - which will occur at the end of next school year. More information will follow on how to set up your account.
More details on the Paraeducator Certificate Program are available on the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) website.
We have also provided you with PESB Online Courses step-by-step directions for:
- creating an account in PESB
- taking PESB courses online
- printing out your completed course information (to send to Human Resources)
The district has provided paraeducators with additional information:
2019-20 Para Training Schedule (with links to register)