Moving in tandem with the district's new online services and information, Special Education is also hoping to make the experience of our families, staff, and students as good as possible. While we are always available to answer your questions on the phone, in person, or via email, we also want to keep adding to our website to deliver needed information in a way that is fast and easy. Please let us know if you have suggestions.

What is Special Education?

Special education is a system of supports available to students with disabilities that adversely affect their education and require specially designed instruction. Primary support is provided by trained teachers and other professionals who work with parents on a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP). Access and delivery of these services is governed by federal and state law, as well as local school board policies. Special education is provided at no cost to parents and includes the related services a student needs to access her/his educational program.

Where are services provided?

Each school is staffed with special education teachers and support staff including speech pathologists, school psychologist, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc. The learning needs of most students can be met by teachers and support staff in their neighborhood school. For students with more complex learning needs, center-based services may be provided.

Who does Special Education serve?

Children and young adults from birth through age 21 who are residents of the Marysville School District are entitled to receive special education services after meeting eligibility requirements. Children aged zero to three are served by a community agency in collaboration with the district. Preschool-aged children are served at their neighborhood elementary or in the district’s own developmental preschools depending on their needs. School-aged children and young adults(ages 5-21) are served in the district’s 22 schools.

All students receiving special education services have been found eligible through a process of evaluation, consultation, and planning that follow federal and state guidelines.

What if I am concerned about my child?

First, talk to your child’s classroom teacher about your concerns. Every school has a process in place to provide help when there are concerns about student learning. You may also talk to the counselor, psychologist, or administrator from your school.

One outcome of that process might be a referral for a special education assessment, for which your written permission is required. When that assessment is finished you will be invited to a meeting at the school to discuss the results, consider your child’s eligibility for special education services and if eligible, help plan for your child’s Individualized Education Program.

If you have concerns about a child who is not yet in school, please call or email us at the Marysville Special Education Office.